Skip to main content
Louisa Katlubeck
Support Team Lead
Asked a question 2 years ago

I saw that there's a public voting option where people can vote for their favorite submission. What are some suggestions and things to watch for when using this feature?

Where am I?

In OpenWater you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

There are a few different options with the public voting option. Besides setting the voting period itself, you can choose to have folks login or use cookies to track the votes, limit each user to one vote, and allow folks to vote again after a 24 hour period. 

I saw that there's a public voting option where people can vote for their favorite submission. What are some suggestions and things to watch for when using this feature?

If you are using other limitations, such as one vote per user, I suggest requiring users to login to vote. While cookies make a best effort at keeping folks from gaming the system, various workarounds (such as using incognito windows) can cause confusion and uncertainty with the final tallies. This also means they will need to create an account, so streamlining the information required in the user profile is key if a quick process is important.

I also suggest enabling social sharing to drive more traffic to the voting page, while raising awareness of your program. Social sharing can give folks an easy means to get their friends and co-workers involved in the process. 

To learn more about how to enable social sharing, and the public voting process, check out this help article124